Recent Posts

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I Karaoke, You Karaoki, We All Karaokamo


Ever seen those free-in-a-wellness-gift-bag emoticon magnetic charts? There are a bunch of different facial expressions, ranging from "happy" to "mischievous," and they're designed so that a person can express their emotion of the day by dragging a little black magnet over the square that best matches their current mood.  Feeling a little peppy - go on, move over to "excited." They also serve as a bright orange flag when a bad mood lurks nearby. Warning, your cubicle neighbor just slid her feeling from "hopeful" to "extremely pissed off and will explode at the next person to even look at her wrong." Wait, what? That's not an option. But if only it were ... much more intuitive and enlightening than the frowning "upset" option.

If I had to pick an emoticon on the magnetic chart to describe my current life status, I'd have to choose "waiting." Yes, it's not usually an option either - like "extremely pissed off ..." but hey, my blog post, my emoticon chart. 


Waiting for what? Hmm, on any given day: for the laundry to dry, for the next train, for 5 o' clock to hurry up and get here, for dinner to make itself (wouldn't that be loverly), for my roommates to come home so we can catch up on life, for a never-ending supply of Nutella to appear in the kitchen, and more.

Just last week, I jumped on the small wooden stage of a crowded sushi bar and jammed out to "Sittin' On the Dock of the Bay," with Kipsie. The lyrics definitely describe life right now - "I left my home in Georgia/ Headed for the 'Frisco bay ... Sittin' here resting my bones ... It's two thousand miles I roamed/ Just to make this dock my home." Just change Georgia to Florida, and San Fran to VA, and would you look at that, Mr.  Otis Redding wrote this song with me in mind.

Lucky for those of us who are waiting on things in life - or for life itself - to happen, the Bible has some really great promises to help us through.


"But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." [Isaiah 40:31]

"Therefore I will look unto the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation: my God will hear me." [Micah 7:7]

"Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and He shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord." [Psalm 27:14]

"So Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him." [Hebrews 9:28]

"Yet the Lord longs to be gracious to you; therefore he will rise up to show you compassion. For the Lord is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him!" [Isaiah 30:18]

As we wait - not passively, but actively trusting, patiently relying upon Christ, obediently fulfilling the roles He's called us to, it doesn't seem so much like a melodramatic song, kicking our heels in the water on a dock somewhere. Silly, Otis, waiting isn't wasted time.

[Images via: we heart it]

2 comments:

Chelsea Martin said...

Very nice, it's actually funny, cause i was just having a mental breakdown... no job, no money, what am i going to do? I assume i'll survive, i always have God. It was good to read what you wrote though...i'm in the waiting stage too. miss you Lutz!! -kispie

Lorin Fairweather said...

We'll just all live off sunshine + love, right? Excited to hear about where the Lord will leading you to go in the near future, Kipsie :)

Post a Comment