Recent Posts

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Chocolate + coconut macaroons? Yes, and yes.


Hey y'all!! Happy Thursday! The weekend is almost here and I thought I'd share a fun, easy recipe for some yummy* Chocolate Covered Coconut Macaroons. On a whim, I decided to whip up a batch of 'em last night in between watching a 5:00 Gilmore Girls rerun and leaving for my small group Bible study.


Chocolate Covered Coconut Macaroons
recipe found on the back of Harris Teeter Coconut Flakes bag
What you'll need:
2 egg whites
2/3 cup of sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1/2 bag of coconut flakes
greased cookie sheet
small double boiler [or just a small cooking pot]
1/2 bag of chocolate chips [milk choco is fine]



What to do:
Preheat your oven to 325° and grease a cookie sheet, then set it aside.

Beat the egg whites until they're nice and fluffy.  If you don't have a beater and still believe in old-fashioned wrist power like me, a whisk and your arm muscles will do just fine.

Then add the pinch of salt and the vanilla extract. Continue whisking away.

Next, slowly add sugar as you continue to beat the egg whites.  Soft "peaks" should be forming. I don't know that my "peaks" ever completely formed, but as long as the mixture seems to be rising, you'll be good to go.

Once your mixture is fluffy and sticky, begin folding in the coconut flakes. Continue until everything is nice and mixed.

Drop spoonfuls onto your pre-greased cookie sheet.

Bake at 325° for about 20 minutes [or until the edges look slightly toasted].



After your marvelous macaroons have cooled completely - about an hour - the real fun begins.

Time to melt the chocolate, which you can do either via microwave [30 seconds on medium heat, stir, repeat until completely gooey] or the double boiler method.

Now that you have a huge heaping of melted chocolate, let the dipping begin! Or drizzling. It's really up to you. I poured the chocolate over the macaroons in small zigzags, which is fun way to dress up any dessert.

Allow time for the chocolate to harden - maybe 15 minutes or so - and, voila! Homemade chocolate covered coconut macaroons, ready to be devoured.



How many it makes:
About 1 dozen [feel free to double or triple the recipe to make more tasty treats]

*Although I said they were yummy, I didn't actually eat any due to the P90x rigid workout/eating healthy regime I am currently following. Shh, don't tell my roommates but ... I did manage to sneak a little of the batter and a few crumbs - so delicious! Muahhahh they'll never know [oh, snap. They read my blog...Oh well, it's out in the open now - I ate some coconut/chocolate morsels yesterday!! Whew. Feels kind of good to get that off my chest.] Brought the dessert to my small group. Verdict? They l-o-v-e-d them.

Wishing you a wonderful, chocolate-filled day,

Lorin

[Image via: The Scootabaker]

1 comments:

Leigh said...

They look super easy to make and tasty! :)

Post a Comment